Memories of the Wind.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Love your rice.

Reading "The Clay Marble" by Minfong Ho somehow added a reassuring glow to my life and really tugged at my heartstrings. Looking at my own plate of rice and seeing the steam rising and disappearing in the cool evening breeze takes on a wholly new sensation. A tingling sensation that I never felt before. How contented to be able to eat rice everyday. I enjoyed my rice today.

There are a few lines from the book that really made rice out to be the most delicious food in the world. And how apt it is. Adapted :"I thought about what a wonderful thing it is to eat rice. First you let the smell drift up in lazy spirals, sweet and elusive; then you look at the colour of it, softer and whiter than the surrounding steam. Carefully you put a steamful of it into your mouth, and feel each grain separate on your tongue, firm and warm."

OooOo. Never has rice been so gingerly treated and warmly thought of, at least not by me, nor most Singaporeans, I will presume. The security of a home, the stability of 3 meals, and the promise of a future, and the sense of love is mostly within reach by Singaporeans. Hence, it is small wonder that people start to be more wasteful.

Hmm.. In deep thoughts~~~Not many people get to eat rice, rice which is abundant in Singapore yet scarce in other countries living in poverty.

We really should cherish our rice more.

In addition, looking at my mum, who really wants to eat rice, yet can't, I can't help but love my rice.

~~~~

zzz. I seldom read nowadays, if not for my tuition kid who insisted on lending me this book.

Labels: ,

posted by Xiao Feng at 12:34 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home